Friday, May 24, 2013

Beta levels

For the beta levels, I am returning to my older plan. I dropped some mechanics because they were too confusing and didn't work well. So far, the plan is to have 2 mechanics introduced over the course of 6 levels, then followed by a "boss" level. The first level introduces the mechanic, the second shows what the mechanic can do, and the third is like a "test" level. After the player completes two new mechanics this way, they encounter the boss level, and then the cycle starts all over again.

Right now, I have about 12 beta levels done. This is about 1/3 of the normal levels included in the game. The second and third levels in a mechanic cycle now also include 2 collectibles per level. They can be obtained by the player without any future knowledge, but they are difficult to get to. I am not sure if I want them to reappear if the player dies or not.

Today I am going to switch gears real quick. While test playing some of the beta levels, I found some mechanics confusing. To make these easier to understand, I am going to polish them today. This also gives me time to do some art to replace some of the alpha art. Hopefully I can get most of this done today. On first glance I have about 10 things I want to polish, and I want to get at least 4 of them done today.

Thanks for reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment